PANTA RHEI: OF MOVING AND RELOCATING IN BERLIN’S TIERGARTEN
Wrangelbrunnen on its original spot in Kemperplatz with the Siegessäule visible in the background (photo: Berlin Landesarchiv)
Wrangelbrunnen, a beautiful neo-classicist fountain designed by Hugo Hagen was unveiled in March 1877 at the no longer existing Kemperplatz in the Tiergarten (now more or less the large junction before the exit to the Tiergarten Tunnel).
In August 1902 it was replaced by another famous Berlin fountain, Rolandbrunnen, presented to the city by Kaiser Wilhelm II and placed at the southern end of Siegesallee, a road lined with 32 marble statues of Wilhelm’s forefathers: Brandenburgian margraves, electors and Prussian kings.
Rolandbrunnen became the opposite pole to the thus created view axis at whose northern end stood back then Berlin’s Siegessäule, the Victory Column: until 1938 the Siegessäule had its prominent place at Königsplatz (now Platz der Republik) before the Reichstag building.
Kemperplatz with Rolandbrunnen (looking north). Image via Blekinge Museum, Karlskrona, Sweden.
The column was moved to the Große Stern, a massive multi-lane roundabout in the Tiergarten Park, as part of the Nazi urban refurbishment programme: it had to be relocated for the new Ost-West-Achse (East-West Axis) of the future World Capital, Germania.
Siegesalle in the Tiergarten Park, 1903.
Interestingly, before all the moving, relocating and refurbishment – from 1902 the Wrangelbrunnen has been standing at the admittedly rather beautiful location on the corner of Grimmstraße and Urbanstraße in Berlin-Kreuzberg – Hugo Hagen’s fountain not only faced Golden Lizzie (Gold Else), as Berliners call the statue of Victoria on top of the Victory Column, but they also enjoyed common roots. Both the Victoria and the Wrangelbrunnen were made by the same fine art foundry: by Kunstgießerei Gladenbeck.
Wrangelbrunnen in Kreuzberg (image by notmsparker).