THE YOUNG HERR DOCTOR
Two young doctors around 1910 at Krankenhaus am Urban, Alfred Döblin and Erna Reiss.
Their marriage meant that one of the two was obliged to give up their post as relationships among staff were not so much discouraged or frowned upon as outright forbidden.
Döblin opened a private surgery in Blücherstraße 18 in Kreuzberg and later moved it to Frankfurter Allee in Friedrichshain. His parallel writing career was gaining momentum, too: it reached its peak in 1929 with the publication of Alfred Döblin´s classic Berlin novel, “Berlin-Alexanderplatz”.