BERLIN NOW AND THEN – SPANDAU
Lest we forget that Berlin is much more than just Prenzlauer Berg, Kreuzberg or Mitte, here is a next instalment in the weekly photo-series of the “Berliner Morgenpost”, introducing images of various Berlin locations as they were and as they are today.
Today, it is Spandau´s turn. “Spandau bei Berlin“, by the way, as many locals still call it – it might be 2016, but for many among 231,120 residents of Berlin´s fourth biggest borough, the place is as independent of the capital as it was in 1232 when its name appeared it writing for the first time (making it, in fact, the older of the two).
Until 1878, Spandau´s name was spelled “Spandow“, like “Treptow“, “Pankow” or “Rudow“. Its spelling was, however, changed to make it look more “German” (-ow is a Slavonic ending, characteristic of originally Slavic settlements). It is also possible that the name´s pronunciation evolved to “-au” before 1878 and that the reform also followed that development.
You can read more about the colourful history of Spandau´s name in one of our older posts as well as in the book Notmsparker´s Berlin Companion about to be published in May 2016:-)
Please, click the image to enter.
City Hall of Spandau in at the Havel in 1932.