TODAY IN BERLIN: WELCOME TO BERLINER STADTSCHLOSS!
Stadtschloss around 1685 (author unknown, the original at Märkisches Museum today)
On March 12th, 1451 Brandenburgian Elector, Friedrich II Eisenzahn (Iron Tooth) moved into his new residence: Schloß an der Spree, constructed in Cölln.
The Elector´s new quarters incorporated part of the original Cölln city wall, its eastern side facing Berlin to be exact. The “Grüner Hut” (Green Hat) – the name referred to the colour of its copper roof which oxidated with time – a medieval defence tower and significant part of those old fortifications, later became the oldest surviving section of Berlin´s City Palace. Its remains were demolished in 1950 along with the rest of the Stadtschloß.
The “Spree Wing” on the eastern side of the City Palace with the “Grüner Hut” in 1908 (photo by Max Missmann).
Kurfürst (Elector) Friedrich Eisenzahn, who moved into the castle eight years after its completion (due to his famous conflict with the citizens of Berlin and Cölln, which led to their big rebellion against the new ruler, “Berliner Unwillen”), officially established his court in the twin-cities: Berlin-Cölln became the “Kurfürstliche Residenz”.
Aerial photo of the Stadtschloss from the 1930s.